Ratings

Rambit

Group: Standard Membership
Posted 26 October 2011 - 8:15 pm
Quote:
@ Rambit if creating different ladders within CS was an attempt to create more variety you could also do as someone else suggested and instead of simply removing rates you could just make the most popular maps worth less points and/or set a rate cap on them.
That is using the point obsession to our advantage. I still think everyone would be better off if there was no point obsession. Something like not displaying your own rating could help make people care so much about it. Maybe also not show ratings in the lobby, just in game rooms once the host has selected a ladder.
Quote:
Why dont you stop allowing players to create so many new names?
Have a limit of 2 accounts max per IP. YOu can only log into two accounts with ur ip.

Yes some players can change their ip of course. The majority cannot.
Yeah I have been against smurfs for quite some time, have wanted something like that but it is just too easy to get around. Hardly fair that the only people who can have multiple accounts are ones who know how to get around our restrictions.
Lien | Répondre | Citation
 Rambit

Posted 26 October 2011 - 8:16 pm
Quote:
One problem I do foresee, is Voobly members less likely to report cheaters if there is no ratings to gain...
We have all cheats blocked, confident there wont be any more in the foreseeable future also. Only issues now are people doing things so they don't lose points. I really doubt people will refuse to continue if they aren't going to lose any points.
 risk

Group: Game Moderator
Posted 26 October 2011 - 8:36 pm
Rambit wrote:
But you wouldn't quit now?

No I wouldn't quit now.
 [ViCiouS]Archybot

Edited 26 October 2011 - 8:39 pm by [ViCiouS]Archybot
MSN zone didn't have CS ratings, and yet it had more games being played and is considered by players that have played in the zone era and the gamepark/igz/voobly area, to be more competitive than it is now.

Ratings hurt CS, and I think it's too little, too late now.
 [ViCiouS]Archybot

Posted 26 October 2011 - 8:48 pm
One problem I do foresee, is Voobly members less likely to report cheaters if there is no ratings to gain....

Take the cheaters now, and now look at the cheaters left after ratings are gone. How many people will cheat for rate compared to people cheating for "fun."
 [ViCiouS]TheAussieOne

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:47 pm
My proposition is;

-All the ladders will only rate in a 1v1 setting - Voobly need to police games strictly to stop point trading
-Reset all the ladders every 3 months
-Record highest rates reached on player profile
-Fix up alternative ladder
-Create a team game ladder where all maps are rated, so players can still noob up CBA TG if they really have to.
-Enforce a decay system - This will encourage people into playing more regularly, and prevent people sitting at a peak rating.
-Reward those who lead by example and play in a fair and honest way - encourage people not to cheat and punish it harshly

This approach covers any backfires. People will still be able to have ratings, yet the ratings will be more accurate and reflective of player skill (in theory).

[ViCiouS]____Tom____

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:07 pm
My proposition is;

-All the ladders will only rate in a 1v1 setting - Voobly need to police games strictly to stop point trading
-Reset all the ladders every 3 months
-Record highest rates reached on player profile
-Fix up alternative ladder
-Create a team game ladder where all maps are rated, so players can still noob up CBA TG if they really have to.
-Enforce a decay system - This will encourage people into playing more regularly, and prevent people sitting at a peak rating.
-Reward those who lead by example and play in a fair and honest way - encourage people not to cheat and punish it harshly

This approach covers any backfires. People will still be able to have ratings, yet the ratings will be more accurate and reflective of player skill (in theory).
1v1s only could work, if Voobly cleans up the maps allowed to be rated, as well as enforcing more strict rules as you said. Elo was never meant for team based games, and if you look at any game that has tried to use it in such you'll see community criticism for it. Team games could still be tracked and count towards a win/loss ratio, not they shouldn't rated.

Elo decay or sporadic reset, not both. Kind of redundant to have both.
 L_daVinci

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:01 am
What about ffa games?
 [ViCiouS]TheAussieOne

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:08 am
FFA should be treated as Fun For All.

Tom, it depends on the degree of the decay. If it's significant like 20 points a week, then there wouldn't be a need for sporadic resets. If it was persay 5 points a week, then I think that there would be. People can just **** a map for a week and hit 2100 and sit on it without decay, refusing to play anyone. Decay system means they have to defend that rating through playing more games.

I more or less agree with everything else.
 _HERACLES_

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:33 am
@maut

lol i play CBA and i still suck at it......
and i suck at everything in aoc too......so u beating me does not prove a point..............

moreover if u are still wanna beat me....come wid the highest rated account...ill play wid my highest rated one...lets see who wins cba...1v1....or 2v2 or 3v3 4v4 whtever...
CS playing and learning and mastering is more about game dynamics and map dynamics.........which is the reason mastering it is way easier compared to mastering RM maps....most importantly migration and arabia maps :)
 [ViCiouS]TheAussieOne

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:36 am
Migration isn't a difficult Rm map to learn and adapt to. The most difficult stage is the dark age build up. However, I completely agree with Arabia.

The difficulty and dynamics that lie in CS are mastering several unique maps. Instead, most users stay happy with mastering CBA, which is an easy achievement for your competent gamer.

Comparing Rm and CS is silly and unwarranted.
 _HERACLES_

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:37 am
the thing is most clans would still stay after ratings are removed and the players would also stay........but why on earth would players come to voobly frm different clients?????
and voobly would become just another client.....and voobly in reality is not just another client...it has got amazing features which others do not.....so my point is why would would voobly risk the FUN and Competitve element in the game for a mere case of refuse to continue..

the solution????
appoint some mods frm various time zones and take action rapidly and more harshly :)
 _HERACLES_

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:44 am
why on earth would i want to play all maps???if i can have all the fun in CBA?????
i wont be earning a living by becoming a AOC master........but since aoc is my hobby i extract sometime frm my 24hrs and play to have fun and earn points which gives me satisfaction thats all

@philmikehunt
i have been playing RM for over 4 years,and have been following this game for years now and the post that u made describes that u do not or rarely play RM...........migration Bo is not only difficult but also the lack of resources in the base island is the TOUGh factor inside the game...

and u got me wrong,the reason of my comparison of CS and RM was bcoz of the complexity difference in both versions....some guys take years to perfect CS,some guys play one map and perfect it.,some guys like to play all the maps.........but why on earth should the 1 map players be axed?

PS:I also have satisfaction doing a lot of things and aoc isnt just the only one.
 [ViCiouS]Archybot

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:59 am
The fact that castle blood players are the only one blindly supporting rates is proving Rambit's point, fyi.
 _HERACLES_

Posted 27 October 2011 - 1:12 am
castle blood player who??????

i knw all the maps and i suck at all of them :)

123456789[10]1112131415161718192021»
Displaying 136 - 150 out of 404 posts
Raccourcis de forum
5 User(s) are reading this topic (in the past 30 minutes)
0 members, 5 guests

What's popular right now:
Most active threads in past week: